Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Green Smoothie Experience

I kept hearing about green smoothies. I'm not really sure what I was reading but they seemed to keep popping up and it sounded like maybe something good to try. Never mind that I generally don't like smoothies because I always want to chew them -it's weird. Liquid meals have never been my thing, I about lost my mind when I had my wisdom teeth taken out and couldn't eat solid foods for a bit. I think that lasted less than a day and I was eating (carefully) whatever I wanted. I even did chips and guacamole. I don't recommend that. It was risky but I got away with it. Eh.

So, on my list of things to do before my 27th birthday was to try a green smoothie.

I went with a mix of

2 cups Kale
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp chia seeds
1 Tbsp raw honey
1 cup  frozen golden raspberries ( originally from my mom's garden)
1 glass of water

It looked like this:


 
Which turned into this:

 
Which resulted in this:
The black straw makes it fancy.
 
 
Despite my appearance (my face just does that when presented with a camera) it wasn't bad. I think next time I'll use a different fruit since I actually don't really like raspberries all that much. I always think they're going to be delicious but they just aren't. Plus, the raspberry seeds added too much texture for my smoothie chewing issues and it made it hard for me to drink the smoothie like a normal person. After drinking some of it I ate some chips and salsa and was weirded out by how sweet the salsa tasted comparatively. It's not usually a sweet tasting salsa. The drink itself isn't bitter or anything but it made my taste buds sensitive to sugar. It was kind of like how eating something sour after something sweet makes it taste especially sour. 
 
Before this I hadn't ever tried kale, coconut oil, or chia seeds. Kale kind of tastes like cabbage mixed with broccoli (I actually like both of those). Coconut oil smells slightly like coconut and doesn't have much of a flavor. Chia seeds are kinda funky, they're the same seeds you use for chia pets but they're supposed to be high in fiber, protein, and omega 3s for a relatively small serving size. They absorb water and expand which some people hope aids in weight loss because it supposedly makes you feel full faster. I like the texture of them and the taste is pretty neutral. I like flax seed as well but apparently chia is more easily absorbed in seed form while flax generally needs to be ground to be effective.

I'll try it again with different fruit and maybe a different vegetable mix as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment